Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Video Self- Portrait

What did you find interesting, surprising and unexpected in this video self -portrait?

I started thinking about my self-portrait following our class. Immediately after this class on Fridays, I have my Maya class. In that class we are creating amusement park rides- which promted me to think about games and toys. I had wanted to create a three dimensional toy- like version of my world, however, I was very much surprised with my lack of a skill set. Not only was I incompetent in terms of video- editing, but I was also in desperate need of help in filming. I enjoyed thinking about the locations of my life that I had previously shot in still photography and wondered about what the medium of video was adding. Why was I switching mediums? What did moving images communicate that my still images did not? I was somewhat surprised that I was able to communicate a certain still mood with my video. I am not happy with the results of my work. I need to learn how to work more comfortably in the medium. I found that doing this exercise after a 24 hour game jam, that I wanted to find elements that were beautiful but ultimately interactive spaces. I know how I would like to improve the end result. I would like to shift my collage of moving images to a narrative structure.

No comments: