Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And So it Begins

Hello interface friends! My name is Jessica Klein and I created this blog to post work that I do for my Interface Studio at Parsons.

About me:
I received my undergraduate degree in Art History from Mount Holyoke College, in 2002. My honors thesis focused on the language that museums and creative environments apply to digital art and how the terminology is based on a system created to discuss photography. It was my theory, that in order to advance the field of digital art, a new set of terms need to be created. Following college I worked in museums for several years while concurrently doing freelance design and illustration work. I have since explored digital art first hand while continuing to work in traditional styles. I have completed a Certificate in Graphic Design from Parsons School of Design, in 2008 and had the opportunity to see my work in the public sphere by producing designs and illustrations for fashion, education and commercial purposes. I continue to challenge myself daily and know that my art is evolving.

I decided to come to Parsons after many years of working in museums. Initially I was interested in creating interactive media that could provide a cultural context for art displaced in museums. (For example- there is an object in an American Asian art museum that is ritually used in Tibet, here would be an opportunity to show the world that it came from by filming Tibet (China) or creating virtual spaces that represent areas that were destroyed in the cultural revolution). I have also been very interested in animation and storytelling. I know that all of this can somehow be combined, but I look forward to the challenge of grad school to focus my interests into a cohesive course of study.

We were asked to write about what was our favorite childhood toy, so here is mine. I had a deep affection for a toy called 2- XL. This toy is a robot that you insert 8 track tapes into. Based on the tape, you interact with the robot , pushing buttons to answer quiz questions, science questions, sports,etc. It was a lot of fun and although I enjoyed the educational activities that this game provided, I also loved to put my mom's Bee Gees 8 tracks in there and listen to my buddy 2-XL sing or play 8 tracks of Mr. T talking- I pity the fool!


2 XL

*I know that this was supposed to be a short post- this is as short as I could get it!*

1 comment:

adrian said...

Congrats on getting through your first day Jess! I'm so proud of you and I know you will kick ass and I'll be here when it gets really stressful.